Things are starting to wind down at the track now. All but one of the A grader's have quit for the season. Most of the people racing are getting ready for Nationals or the states. I however am just out there to have some fun and learn more about track racing. The closest velodrome to our upcoming new home in Charlottesville, VA is in Lehigh Valley, PA. Unless we move back to Long Beach, then there is one just up the road in Carson.
Anyway, the night consisted of a 8 lap scratch race to get the blood moving, a flying 200 meter solo sprint against the clock, a 3 lap match sprint (more on that later), and finally a 15 lap scratch race to finish the evening. Actually to finish the evening we went to Mackers (McDonalds) to grab a hot fudge Sunday to take home. Almost nothing is open in this town past 9PM.
Okay, we will get some video footage of the races up later, but the scratch races were not too exciting, I got beat by faster people. Although in the last one I was pushing the pace out front a bit to try and tire out people. And I actually thought I was going in a good position into the last lap when the guy in front of me just pulled off, which screwed me.
The 200 meter sprint was okay I bested my fastest practice time by 3 hundredths to an okay time of 13.79 secs. This matched me up with the silver fox himself (the nickname for an older racer who is smart and fast). I figured as this was my first race and I would get beat out in the tactics I would just try to out sprint him early. The race usually works by the 2 racers watching each other for 2 laps then sprinting the last lap. I took off with 1.5 laps to go hoping to catch him out, I got a good 10 meter lead on the jump. But I was unable to hold him off, he eventually got into my slipstream, and got to even as we came into the final straight. I went as hard as I could go, but he just edged me out by a wheel length.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment